Thursday, May 7, 2009

Real life dememtors

If the only thing I had to do was think happy thoughts when the dementors of low blood glucose close in on me and try to suck my will to live out of my body, things would be ok.
I did about 20 miles on the bike tuesday, and ran my lunch 5k, then took wedensday completely off as it poured down rain the whole day, and I was being a baby due to a couple of low BGs the previous night. Actually woke up twice Weds morning with BGs below 50 soaked with sweat and freezing.
Could not have forced myself to ride even if the weather had been nice and easily talked my self out of my lunch run due to the deluge.
Today started off much better with my waking BG at 134, I ate, changed my pump reseviour and bolted out the door.... to fast because I was about a half mile down the road when I realized that I somehow forgot my helmet. I went back, retrieved my lid and dashed through the fog full speed to make it to work on time.
Checked my BG before running and is was 136, a little to low for starting a 5 k run especially with no idea which direction it was heading. So I ate a very ripe banana and checked my BG again in 20 minute. it was 168! All systems go!
The MO on these unpredictable low BGs seems to be that they will hit me about 20 minutes into a workout. It happens on runs more than anything, but I have had it happen on the bike as well.

So I leave to do a 5k and notice I am a little slow at the split and I am having trouble keeping my form together. (should have ate a GU right then and there) The problem is, I hate going high on my BG as well, so when common sense dictates that is what will happen, I am often reluctant to believe the real life feed back I am getting based on pre workout data. My HR seemed to be acceptably high, just not for my perceived effort, which I blamed on form issues (i.e. lack of total concentwation)

So as I come down to the final 1/2 mile, I am feeling like crap, but finding things to blame that on that are not BG since I had already ruled that out. So I am weaving on the final 100 meter aproach and have no gas in the tank. I cut my run short 1/20th of a mile and headed to my desk to eat an orange. Which made me feel better pretty quickly.

Once I got to feeling human again I checked my BG and it was a whopping 72. Who know how low it went, because I was unable to walk a straight line by the time I got back to my desk.

I talked to the good people at Medtronic yesterday about a Constant Glucose Monitor(CGM) and I think that would make a lot of this suffering go away. I have to just wait and see if insurance is going to cover enough of this to make it affordable for me

No comments:

Post a Comment