Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Swimming and Riding

So Saturday, I rode to Whitestown,IN to rider with my buddies on the JDRF team. The planned ride was 50 miles and with detours for a bridge out I ended up riding about 25 miles to get to the start.


I did not realize that the route was going to be so hilly, which was cool as I got a lot more workout than I bargained for (one day, I will be an adequate hill climber)


I was still quite unrecovered from the stinging that I took from the killer B's on Thursday and so it seemed like every pedal stroke was a struggle. On the first loop Fishback hill left me feeling like every muscle in my body right down to my finger tips was going to explode and then cramp up.


But I made it back to the start to head out on the second loop that was supposed to be 22 miles. Things were going all right aside from my CGM deciding that it was not going to calibrate and there fore I did not have real time Blood Glucose feedback


This was compounded by the fact that I apparently spilled some of my sports drink on my hands and my One Touch was telling me that my BG was running mid 100's suspiciously 167 every time I checked.


The long and short of this is that I was bonking before the end of the loop and ended up getting lost and riding a bit further than I intended (going to Lebanon) but I finally made it back to the start, just as my team was packing up and heading out and Alex gave me directions to the nearest Starbucks (oh yeah, I went all morning without caffiene arrrggghhh) where an Americano and spinach wrap solved all of my woes.


So my wife (Melissa) picked me up at Starbucks (prearranged plan to get picked up after the ride :)) and took me to the Runners Forum where I bought a pair of Zoot Ultra Race 2 shoes (I will post a pick later) These are designed for use without socks and I have to say that they are the nicest running shoes I have ever owned.


The only problem is that the loops that make getting them on so fast also can rub your ankles so after 2 5k runs, I have a blister on the back of my left ankle :(


Oh yeah the swimming ( i should have titled this riding and swimming)


My last time in the pool, my stroke per lap count came down to 18. That is 12 less strokes than before the TI training a few weeks ago. This morning, I did not count but was focused on keeping my head down and stroke and glide, stroke and glide. Tomorrow, I am going to work on breathing relaxed to my left side as I seemed to be having a few issues in that direction this morning

No comments:

Post a Comment